Saturday, October 15, 2011

sometimes I watch the internet

Here are two internet series that that make me feel as warm and smiley as those pumpkin spice lattes everyone is so obsessed with.  (I can't drink sugary drinks anymore because my body is a loser.  Enjoy one in my honor!)

Both of these 'net shows are distantly, obscurely related to TV which makes it okay for me to write about them.  (Painting myself into a corner is one of my cherished muses.)  (My other muses include doing things as inefficiently as possible and mania.)  (I'm aware that my use of parenthetical asides has gotten completely out of control.) (Oh, well!)

7 Minutes in Heaven
http://www.youtube.com/user/7minutesinheaven

"It's simple, it's fun, it tells a story about someone walking into a building." -Mike O'Brien about Flo Rida's "Get Low."

Mike O'Brien (an SNL writer with a gentle manner and Ironic Geeky Old Man clothes), interviews celebrities in a closet for a few minutes.  It's basically just a few minutes of pure nonsense that somehow elicit more natural and uninhibited interviews than, um, any talk show ever?  You don't need me to describe it for you.  Just click on it and give a few seconds.  You will either be entranced by the gentle comedy stylings or become impatient and annoyed and not "get it."  If the latter happens, it's okay, it just means that I failed at recommending things.

2 Man Chain Gang
http://vimeo.com/23515096

I have a crush on Rich Juzwiack's writing, especially his blog fourfour.  He writes about pop culture in such a thoughtful, provocative, hilarious way.  It's dreamy.  His writing is dreamy.  I would totally write him a fan email if I didn't know for a fact that I would become so embarrassed about it that I would never be able to read his blog again.  I really can't risk that.

He's also really funny on-camera.  I love this series he did with Max Silvestri (look up what else Max Silvestri has done?  Nah, can't...effort).  It's just two smart, funny guys eating at chain restaurants and describing them with the detachment of a sociology experiment but also a kind of disgusted fondess.  It's hard to describe.  I mean, it's hard for me to describe pretty much anything because I'm not...uh...writing...good at.

No comments:

Post a Comment